Pages

11/09/2009

October 22 and 23 2009 Observing Session

Well, I'll attach the audio video part of the blog here. The pictures in the video are not in the right order but I'll post the sketches. To clarify in the video I state that I did not sketch a few items, what I did do was to place stars and take notes on the galaxies and/or cluster and then created digital sketches. My November 6th and 7th observations will be posted soon I hope (6th is done, I just need to finish doing the 7th).

All objects seen in this session in a XT10 with either a 21mm, 13mm Stratus @ 57x or 92x, or a 5mm Hyperion at 240x.





My first object this night was NGC 7380, an open cluster in Cepheus. Listed magnitude is 6.1 and size is 5.0'. Medium rich cluster witha definite triangle in shape. Kinda of reminds me of the Christmas Tree Cluster in Monoceros but not as large nor as pretty/stunning. I also see a vampire spreading its clock but perhaps that is because of the time of the year. Chains of stars help to form the triangular shape and there is some hint of nebulosity in this cluster.





















Next was NGC 7510 another Open Cluster in Cepheus. Listed magnitude is 11.1 and its size is 7.0'. This is a wonderful and beautiful open cluster! Easily seen at 57x but best viewed at 92x though 200x is resolving more stars but won't fit the cluster in its FOV. This is one to sie and just observe in order to marvel at the details and beauty. It has a wonderful glow with a hint of so many stars wanting to blink out and be seen and to me it rather looks like a mouse starring at me. Rich Open Cluster based on the stars I can see wanting to poke out or that are just slightly showing and variance of magnitude of stars are evident. You can see a main chain of stars with two other chains intersecting this. SEE THIS ONE! I need to return to this and sketch it.




















NGC 40 is my next object adn at 57x it was quite evident that that this was a planetary nebula. The central star is clearly visible with fuzziness around it. At 92x the object shoed more but it really gave details at 240x with the Orion Ultrablock Filter on it. This view showed the central star and a bow tie shape going NW to SE that is irregular in shape. The edge is high diffused and I could make out no color in this object.





















NGC 7448 is a galaxy in Pegasus with a listed magnitude of 11.7 and a size of 2.5' x 1.0'. Very faint galaxy, I can just make it out by alternating with direct and averted vision. Core is the most visible and is bright and I can make out a hint of structure. Appears more face on to me with a diffused edge. Was much better at a dark sky location about 3 weeks ago.





























NGC 7814 an Edge On Spiral Galaxy in Pegasus was the next object. Listed magnitude is 10.6 and size is 5.5' x 2.3'

NGC 7814 is an edge on spiral and the core here is the brightest and very evident in the eyepiece. Averted vision brings out more structure including a slight bit of mottling. Was a challenge to find and more of a challenge to observe. Fun.


































NGC 7217 a Spiral Galaxy in Pegasus was the next object. Not hard to find using a good star map and O'Meara's finderchart is helpful on this one. Very faint spiral in my LP skies. Core is easy to resolve even at 57x. Core is sharp with a halo surrounding it that is diffused on the edge. This is a face on spiral and averted vision hints of structure, especially by looking at the star to the E - NE. If one is patient here, and uses averted vision there is evidence of structure that you can resolve and discern. After viewing it for some time I realized how large this galaxy really was. Don't rush on this one.


























My last object this night was NGC 7331 a Spiral Galaxy in Pegasus. Listed Magnitude is 9.5 and size is 3.4' x 2.5'. Follow O'Meara's directions in his guide, they are spot on but use a different map as always til you get to his findermap. At 57x this lays north to south and the core is very bright as are the outer arms. 92x showed the core very stellar and hints of structure with some possible dark lanes. As I finished my sketch the clouds came in and though I wanted to stick with this, I couldn't. I felt rushed and feel I need to go back at some time. Nice fall galaxy.





























Well that's it for this one. Took me longer than I thought to get it up. The 6th of November is ready if it copies over ok and the 7th I should be able to later this week. Clear Skis to each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment