Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Astronomical Sketching Videos on YouTube

Well, I'm bored. I just spent a couple hours reading and grading papers, and though for many of you this may sound weird, I actually enjoy doing. But it does wear on me mentally, so I decided to go out to YouTube and see what I could find on Astronomical Sketching.

The first one comes from SkySketcher1 and can be found at this link. The video is a walk through by her at the International Sketching Exhibition of some of the best astronomical sketching done in the twentieth and so far into the twenty first century (I am assuming). You'll recognized some of the sketchers who have their worked portrayed, and you may just find yourself pausing the video to take a closer look at some of the works. Truly amazing.

This next video by OrionTelescopes is for beginners or those who are just starting out at the eyepiece with sketching. The narrator makes a point that sketching increases the amount of detail you see in the object. With this I totally agree. It makes me slow down and observe details. What is fun, is when your sketching an object and suddenly the seeing just pops out and you details that weren't there suddenly appear for a moment and then disappear. I know I try to capture those details but can't rush it, and often then wait for the seeing to clear again before adding more detail. My only criticism of this video is the narrator is sketching M42, The Orion Nebula and I would have not had him sketching that object, as it is rather large and complex and even semi-experience sketchers can find that a challenge to conquer. Then again, I've seen some wonderful M42 sketches by newbies.

Lets see I found this new and interesting. It is a 3D sketch by Fred Burgeot of Jupiter. Head over and take a look and please read his comments. I really enjoyed viewing this. The detail is stunning, and I would love to know how many sketches it took to put that together. Fred also did one with his friend Pascal Chauvet of Mars. Again, both are just stunning.

Now these next couple of videos are not sketches, but video taken of craters on the moon and they have given me an idea that I want to try out. Since my weather truly sucks right now, I am going to use these to practice my lunar sketching. They have the distortions that occur while observing the moon, and the object moves out of the field of view so it will allow me to practice sketching, and then bumping back my telescope so to speak (rewinding it). So if that sounds like something you want to try, you may want to give it a go. Crater Clavius through a Meade 16' LB.
Copernicus Crater. On this one try going to 0:55 on the loop and freezing it or to another spot and freezing it and then practice sketching it. Both links of music so if you dislike the music, turn it off. I would assume one could sketch the planets using way also for practice.

Well, I didn't find much for the other planets. Plenty of images of Saturn, even the NASA recording of the sounds sent out by Saturn (link is to NASA website and info on it is found in this link).

That was about all I have found. I guess no one has wanted to create a video of sketching (it is hard in the dark) and put it on YouTube or somewhere else so others can learn from it. Sounds like an opportunity for someone with perhaps better skies than me this winter and more time.

I did find the Astrosketchers Group at the RASC site located here. It has some wonderful links and great advice. Another one to visit and book mark. Anyway, rather interesting in the lack of sketching videos as I said earlier. Then again, I could just be tired and brain dead and not searching correctly or as well as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Jay, thanks for posting the links. Somehow, I had missed SkySketcher's YouTube channel. Fred Burgeot's Jupiter and Mars 3D rotations are amazing. Rich and I set up the ASODvideo channel just for situations where a sketch submission is in motion...only two so far!

    I've been working on shooting video for my channel--some technique videos and some time-lapse full-sketch sequences. They're all indoor recreations so far. Like you mentioned, shooting at the scope is really difficult to coordinate and get reasonably good images. I'm hoping to get that rolling in a couple months.

    If you run into anything else interesting, I hope you'll post about it!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete