Pages

8/14/2011

AstronomyLogs.com
















I believe I have mentioned this website before and I believe I have it as a link, but I went to the site this morning and found it has been updated and new information added. So I thought I would review the site and the items there.

Here is a link to AstronomyLogs.com

The main page reviews what you can find in the site. One thing to know up front if your the type to just jump in if your reading in English, don't worry about the language tab. Everything is in English. If your not a native English speaker, pick your native language and the web pages are put into your native language. I believe the booklets though are still in English.

The booklets allow you to have a basic book for each of the objects. Similar to the logbook it allows you to fold the booklet in half to save space. The space isn't extensive, but allows you to enter the basic required information needed for yourself or to fulfill the AL requirements. Overall I really like the concise format found here. AstronomyLogs Booklets. Here is a view of the Messier Booklet:


















The AstronomyLogs Log Books are one full page of the booklet that are regular size. The log book has a place for the Object, the date and time, site, see and transparency and the Equipment and then comments. The comments are a a full line so a little bit more than the booklet. I have used the H400 one and the Double Star one and I have gone into the space under the notes area. I tend to write a little larger and would prefer two lines if I am writing in the field. If I am transcribing from the digital recorder then I using the Word Format ones (they are the ones I use) since it is easy to type into the log. I'd like to see on for the AL Planetary Nebula program.

Here is the Herschel Log Book:
















The DeepSky logs offer a variety of logs that one can use from simply information to ones with sketching from one item per page to two or five items per page. I really recommend looking over this page to see if one of these formats works for you. An excellent starting point for someone new to observing or looking for a way to record their observations.

The Reference Page is perhaps one of the handiest on the site. The first chart provides a way of rating the night sky. The next chart allows one to have a reference to the Pickering Scale for rating the quality of the night sky. The next three charts show rating limiting magnitude by the Little Dipper, Pegasus and Andromeda and Cygnus. The next one is the constellation names and abbreviations. Description Guidelines provides a way for someone who needs help in knowing what to write down or record by type of object (open cluster, planetary nebula, globular cluster, galaxies etc.). I really recommend that sheet for someone starting out or who hasn't recorded observations. You could cut out the descriptions, laminate on a 3x5 card and then have the card for when you observe. Dryer and Herschel Abbreviations, the Hertzsprung Russell Diagram, a Hubble Galaxy Classification, the Shapley Sawyer and Trumpler Systems are there as is an Averted Vision Scale that finish this section. Again, if your new to observing or looking for a place to print this off and have in one place this is a tab for you.

On the reference page a download table for the Antoniadi Scale needs to be included in my opinion (since I like using that one). Here is the sample of the page with some of the items.

















Another jewel of this site is the findercharts. The finder charts are available for each program you want to go after and it has a wonderful planetary nebula. The finder charts are well drawn out, and very useful. Take a look and see what you look like.

Here is the finder chart for Messier 1:
















The Lunar Atlas is equally useful as is the digital version that the site provides. Here I prefer my Sy&Telescope quick atlas but this one is more in depth and well done. A good reference to have on the computer.

Here is a sample of the Lunar Atlas.
















I really recommend the H400 Atlas if you want a free atlas for hunting down the H400. The maps are there and if you can limit the light from a computer, is an excellent atlas to use. If not, and you spend the money to print off the atlas and put it in a binder in clear protective sheets it is still useful and one I recommend in using for the H400.

A sample from the Herschel 400 atlas:

















The links tab shows some of the more helpful links that are available and some that are free atlases that go lower than the atlases provided here or in an outstanding lunar atlas.

So overall I really enjoy this site and recommend it. I would like to see a few more of the Astronomical League items on here. Check it out and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment