Pages

2/29/2012

Camping App for Ipad for Astronomy and 4 additional Sketches

Another quick post about an app for Camping that I found that is free. I have modified it for making a loading list for my astronomy equipment and to make sure I have all of my cold weather gear with me. I found the app by a list serv I'm on for school, and here is what it looks like on a iPad (lower right corner).
































After you open the app you come to this screen.

































This screen allows you to create a new list and then to add items to it. Here is the one I started for my winter clothing. I usually don't forget anything on my cold weather clothing list but its nice to have a checklist.


































Finally, here is a list with items I created so that I could have a checklist for when I am loading up my equipment. Getting into my mid to late forties now, I find at times I tend to forget one or two things (like my Telrad Riser which I hate not to have) so I started this list (its done now) with everything I have. I can click on the time and check it off when I have loaded it up. Its nice in middle age to start using lists!


































Overall I like this app. You can add or subtract items and customize it for yourself. The camping stuff is a good way to plan if your staying overnight to make sure you everything you need there. I would rate this app a 4.5/5. It's nothing out of this world, but it gets the job done and the price is right, free.


Now, here are the last of my sketches from the other night on the 24th of February. I had time tonight to finish processing these and then to get them posted since its snowing hard and we are at 2 inches in 2 hours. Sure hope it lets up before the a.m. and they plow the roads or the commute to work will be a bear.

Observations done on February 24th, 2012 at Pit n Pole, Utah; Antoniadi I, 14" dob, 5mm, 7mm, 10mm Pentax XW and 14mm Pentax XW with Paracorr I.

Now, I secretly made this sketch for my friend Mat, because as he says, "NGC 2359 is becoming my favorite winter object much like the Swan in the summer." At least something close to that. I hope I did Thor's Helmet justice in the sketch.


































While in Ursa Major I also sketched M106 so here is that sketch. The arms are brighter than they should be slightly.

































Here is M82, Bode's Galaxy in Ursa Major. Pretty close to spot on how I saw it.
































Finally, Messier 81 in Ursa Major. This also is pretty close to how it looked for me. One arm needs to be a touch fainter than the other. Other than that, I am really happy with this sketch. I finally am beginning to feel like I am starting to get close to what I am seeing in my sketches. That is a good feeling.






2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/02/2012

    Cool that you sketched Thor's Helmet, Jay! You definitely did it justice, great job!

    You're right, N2359 is becoming my favorite winter Nebula. Thanks for sketching it!

    Mat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketches Jay! I really like M106 myself.

    ReplyDelete