Pages

3/17/2013

Excel Spreadsheet to Record Observations/SQM L and the Waxing Moon

I like to keep notes and records of my observations.  I use to use paper to record and write down my observations.  However, as time has gone by I moved from the paper system to a digital record. I record using a digital recorder and then upload the observations to my iTunes on my computer. I then listen and would fill out the observing sheets during full moon or cloudy nights. However, I've changed. I know that Starry Night Pro and other programs allow the recording of information in their program, but I didn't want to be going back and forth. So instead I simply made up an observing record in Excel to record the various programs I am doing or have done in the past. I haven't put all of the programs on there, but there are enough to get started.  Here is what it looks like: Link  The link is to the document and I uploaded it to my SkyDrive so you can go and download it if you want. I've started entering some of my Messier objects from when I got serious in 2008 about observing them.  So let me know what you think and if you like it feel free to use it.  I find using technology a great way to aid in observing.  It allows me to record my observation, to study my object and then to sketch it.  The result is I believe I see more than someone who doesn't take the time to do something like this.

Not sure if the first link will work.  Here is the actual link and the form is public.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5C5457D5545A3695!108

Link 2

I recently had to get a new SQM so I ordered the SQM L which narrows the field. It came last week so last Monday I took some readings from my backyard and had the follow information:

March 11th 2013         19.77
March 12th 2013         19.81
March 17th  2013      
                 at zenith      18.81 (waxing crescent moon was out)
                 near moon   17.73

I have conditions and the Antoniadi down but I'll just share that. My backyard isn't bad for a suburban area. What was interesting to me was the full point degrade at zenith with the 6 day old waxing crescent moon at 36% illuminated.  When pointed not at the moon but in its general direction the degrade was about 2 full points on the meter.  I am going to keep this going through the waning gibbous and perhaps crescent phase just to see the impact.  I think it will be a fun little experiment to do.

Next up on the blog will be the counterweights and a few other mods on my on going dobstuff scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment