Pages

2/28/2017

Betelgeuse Goes Supernova! Kidding. Supernova Images . . . .



Okay, just kidding but for a second, I bet a few of you were running outside to curse me when you looked up and saw Betelgeuse still in its normal state and position in Orion. Still a dream of mine to be living when the light from that explosion reaches us 654 light years later!

So if I haven't mentioned this, I suffer from Celiac Disease, and am extremely sensitive. Last Friday at work we go out once a quarter for "birthday lunch" and I went this time. We went to that Gluten Free bastion Sizzler. I figured I could get away with a salad, but nope, there was cross contamination in the salad bar somewhere and I got gluten. Well, I will spare you the immediate after affects of when I get gluten, but I will share that for the next five days it is one of intestinal upset, stomach upset, joint aches, heavy fatigue and foggy thinking, more foggy than normal.  So last night I could not sleep so I decided to have some fun and using GIMP made some fun images I think.

As the title suggests I focused on Betelgeuse after doing a practice capture of SN1987A at the moment that the progenitor star Sanduleak −69° 202 collapses, rebounding and the shock wave broke out of the main star.  Sanduleak −69° 202, was a giant blue supergiant, about 20 solar masses in size and it was thought at that time, that blue super giants never went supernova. Sanduleak −69° 202 disproved that theory though it did show that blue super giants are natural progenitors of supernova, their dense inward material make them not as luminous as their red supergiant cousins which are far more luminous and thus more are seen.  Here is my sketch digitally created of the death throes of Sanduleak −69° 202, and then a poor rendition of the SNR that has remained. Got to fix those stars . . .  If you want to read more here are some links to SN1987A (just celebrated 30 years since the light first reached us on February 23/24 1987).  Wikipedia LINK   Earth/Sky SN1987A LINK (has a few ads to subscribe); Hubble Heritage LINK.




Next I sketched digitally my view of Betelgeuse at the moment it goes supernova. Betelgeuse is as most red super giants do, shedding mass at an extremely high rate as it nears the end of its life.  It truly is one of the most luminous and largest stars in the night sky.  It is estimated to be between 10 to 20 solar masses.  This image which I "borrowed" from Wikipedia shows how big and massive Betelgeuse is in comparison to our solar system.  Also, note, it is not a round star, but it is boiling as it is ejecting its mass as it enters the final stage of its evolution.




Above is a more distant view of Betelgeuse going supernova. 


Above is a closer look of Betelgeuse going supernova and ejecting a gamma ray burst or I can assume this is the breakout from the main star as the shock wave after collapsing, is cocked, and then shot out breakout out of the star and the surrounding material. 

There you have it. Just some fun on my part and fun messing around with the tool.   

No comments:

Post a Comment