Pages

11/21/2024

Light Options for Observing

 I've posted on this way back in 2014 LINK. However, I thought I would update my recommendations on red lights to use while observing. 


1. Photon Freedom Micro



My first choice is the Photon Freedom Micro LED keychain flashlight, Black w/ Covert LINK. I own 8 of these, 4 in red light, 2 in green and 2 in orange. They have never failed me in the field and I find the adjustable light perfect for helping me keep my night vision in tack. The one's I have own I have had for 10 years and yes, I have had to replace the batteries but that is all. Replacing the battery is tricky the first time but my backs have never fallen off after replacing them. I LOVE this item! 


2. Rigel Starlite Mini Compact Variable Brightness Red LED Astronomer's Flashlight


I own two of these and I like them a lot. I have modified them with a piece of red plastic put over the light to dim it just a little bit. The light is adjustable. The only compliant is the 9 volt battery is replaced by removing the front of the light and sometimes it doesn't want to fit on nicely.  I haven't had mine fall off as some have in the field, but I am careful when I change out the battery. 

3. Rigel Starlite Water-Resistant Variable Brightness Red LED Astronomer's Flashlight





I own one of these and I prefer this one over the Min Compact ones I have. Adjustable and the dimmest light allows you to see your charts without impacting your night vision. The brightest setting is two bright but good for take down after observing. However, I usually use a white light when I break down. 


4. BlackDiamond Spot 400 headlamp 

I still own 3 BlackDiamond Spot Headlamps that are 10 years old and still work outstanding! This is what they look like: 

I recently purchased an updated Spot 400 and like it ab out the same. 


The Spot 400 gives you the option for white light or red light. White LED outputs up to 400 lumens on max setting, 200 lumens on medium and 6 lumens on low. Red LED night vision has dimming and strobe modes, and is quickly activated without cycling through the white mode. All I have to do is hit the button and it changes over to red and stays on red until I hit the button and move it to white. It is a go to and you'll usually find it on my head or nearby.  

I haven't purchased update red lights for over 10 years now as mine are still going strong. I invested and my investment keeps on going (except for the Spot 400).  Having a good and dim red light is critical for sketching and for observing.  






No comments:

Post a Comment